Healthy Eating Tips for Families
Enjoy food together
- Mealtimes are an opportunity to share and connect as a family. Take time to sit down together without any distractions (TV, electronics, etc). Try to keep the atmosphere peaceful and calm.
- Eating together can help children learn about culture and food traditions.
- Involve children in planning and preparing meals to learn food skills. Children can help with shopping, gardening, harvesting, cooking, cleanup and more.
- Never force a child to eat or taste something they do not want. By seeing their family enjoy many different foods, they will eventually, with time, learn to do the same.
Plan meals and snacks
- Many families have busy schedules. It can help to plan meals ahead of time so that you have all the foods you need on hand. To save time, prepare large batches of food and use leftovers for other meals.
- Plan healthy breakfasts to help children perform their best in school and to promote a healthy weight.
- Pack a healthy lunch that contains all food groups. Don't forget snacks and water. Involve your children with packing their school lunch.