Controlling diabetes requires an around-the-clock commitment from the individual with diabetes. The onset of complications due to diabetes (increased risk of cardiovascular problems and stroke, eye problems and poor blood circulation) can be delayed and even prevented through effective diabetes management. Education is the key to understanding and managing diabetes. Here are some facts on education:
Seriousness of Diabetes: back to top
What every one should know about diabetes
Diabetes is a chronic disease that has no cure. It is a leading cause of death by disease in Canada.
There are three types of diabetes.
Type 1 or insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM) occurs when the pancreas no longer produces nay or very little insulin. Insulin is needed in the body to use sugar for energy. Approximately 10 percent of people with diabetes have Type 1 diabetes. The remaining 90 percent are affected by Type 2 diabetes or non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM).
Type 2 diabetes occurs when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or when the body does not use the insulin that is produced effectively.
A third type of diabetes, gestational diabetes, is a temporary condition that occurs during pregnancy. It affects one out of every 20 pregnant women with 40 percent of those cases developing into Type 2 diabetes later in life.
Complications back to top
People with diabetes are at risk for developing a variety of complications. Approximately 40 percent of people with diabetes develop complications due to the disease. Through early diagnosis and intensive therapy (close monitoring of blood glucose levels advocated by diabetes health care practitioners following the 10-year Diabetes Control and Complications Trial – DCCT based on Type 1 diabetes), the onset of these complications can be delayed and / or prevented.
Microvascular complications (small blood vessel damage)
Neuropathy (nerve damage and foot problems due to blood vessel damage to the nervous system )
Macrovascular Complications (large blood vessel damage)
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Diabetes Risks and Symptoms back to top
Although the causes of diabetes are unknown, there are several factors that can increase the risk of developing diabetes.
For Type 1'" diabetes the risk factors include:
For Type 2 diabetes the risk factors include:
People with Type 1 diabetes usually experience the rapid onset of extreme and urgent symptoms. Symptoms for Type 1 diabetes may include:
People with Type 2 diabetes can experience few or no symptoms of diabetes and therefore the disease remains undetected. However, there are a number of symptoms that may apparent:
Diabetes can be diagnosed through a routine blood test.